Alone around South Africa

Alone around South Africa
Quo Vadis?

About Me

"Why? Why would you want to do this?" By and large this is the standard response I get when people would learn of my intention of traveling around South Africa on my motorcycle. It usually gets worse when I mention the word, "solo." Utterances questioning my sanity and menopausal status abound. These, however, only serve to firm my resolve. After all, why shouldn't I experience South Africa with its beautiful and relatively unspoilt coastline, verdant green forests, wide - swept plains, the enigmatic Karoo, magnificent wildlife, craggy mountains and its diverse people, courtesy of my motorcycle? And the best is that I can spend as much or as little time at a place as I choose. So that's exactly what I will be doing. If all goes according to plan and my anxiously awaited panniers arrive in time, I'll be saying my good byes to friends and family very early on Wednesday morning, 24 April 2013. Check in every now and then to see where I am, what I've been up to and where this journey is taking me, both physically and philosophically.

Sunday 5 May 2013

1 May 2013 Day Three

I didn't leave Onrus Caravan Park as early as I would have liked to. For reasons best known by seasoned adventurers (which I definitely am not - yet!) , a solitary traveller, especially on a motorcycle or bicycle draws a number of interested people to him or her. And chats to him / her. Many are men and / women with either experience of suchlike activities or individuals with a rekindled desire for adventure visible in their eyes.

Neville,  my senior by a number of years, was such a man. He stopped by for a chat more than once during my short time at the Onrus campsite. The nature of his questions showed that he was and will remain an adventurer at heart. I really appreciated his chats.

Breakfast was a quick cup of coffee and two rusks at ... the Coffee Shop Arabikaz.


My next stop was to be Stanford. A few years ago my wife and I spent a week in the Hermanus area and Stanford was one of the places we visited. There was a certain restaurant cum coffee shop we had visited that I thought I'd like to see again.

Just outside the restaurant, a German couple politely stood to one side so I could enter first; a gesture that I politely declined, seeing that they were my senior by a number of years.

Once again I was made aware of the amazing kindness of people on my trip. The German couple asked me to join them at their table and a wonderful conversation ensued. They were married for sixty two years already and I delighted in the quiet gentleness with which they interacted.

On the road, once again, I headed for Swellendam where I envisaged spending a day or two so that I could get my washing done and ... visit my favourite restaurant, viz. Penant Wing.

At the Municipal Caravan Park in Swellendam I pitched my tent and went in search of supper. To my dismay my favourite restaurant was closed (I discovered that they  are only open during the day).

I stopped at a place on the Main Street (possibly because I noticed a BMW GS 1200 standing outside) and ... the place was open. Its patrons were boisterous with cigarette smoke wafting everywhere.

Once I found an outside table towards one side of the stoep, I ordered my meal, sat back and started checking my mail, etc. I was completely taken aback when a female voice jolted me back to my immediate surroundings. A very young smiling woman stood in front of me saying something about how wonderful it must be to travel the way I was. She looked incredibly young, was quite attractive (in a girl - next - door type of way) and seemed to be waiting for a response from my side. All I could do, however, was to think how young she was and wondering what she was doing in place like this.

She must have realised that I wasn't going to be accommodating, turned round and went back to her table.

Why am I sharing this? I mentioned my experience to the owner of Penant Wing the next morning, to learn that this young woman was known to proposition men. It is sad. How did she come to have this be the way she operated? On the surface of it all she could well be the sweet and cherished daughter of any father.

That night was bitterly cold. At three o' clock the following morning, I got out my little stove, made my way to the ablution block and made myself a hot mug of tea and worked on my blog whilst waiting for the new day.
The owners of Penant Wing, Geoffrey and Louie outside their fantastic restaurant.


No comments: