Alone around South Africa

Alone around South Africa
Quo Vadis?

About Me

"Why? Why would you want to do this?" By and large this is the standard response I get when people would learn of my intention of traveling around South Africa on my motorcycle. It usually gets worse when I mention the word, "solo." Utterances questioning my sanity and menopausal status abound. These, however, only serve to firm my resolve. After all, why shouldn't I experience South Africa with its beautiful and relatively unspoilt coastline, verdant green forests, wide - swept plains, the enigmatic Karoo, magnificent wildlife, craggy mountains and its diverse people, courtesy of my motorcycle? And the best is that I can spend as much or as little time at a place as I choose. So that's exactly what I will be doing. If all goes according to plan and my anxiously awaited panniers arrive in time, I'll be saying my good byes to friends and family very early on Wednesday morning, 24 April 2013. Check in every now and then to see where I am, what I've been up to and where this journey is taking me, both physically and philosophically.

Wednesday 8 May 2013

2 May 2013 Day Four

Today was a non - riding day. I spent most of the day updating my blog, or at least trying to. It wasn't as if it were difficult writing down what had happened the previous few days. No, it was rather a matter of trying to coax the photographs I had taken into making their way onto the blog pages.
Swellendam Caravan Park with its beautiful camp sites
I have a saying, quite familiar to those who know me: "Technology is wonderful ... when it works !" So, as I fully echo the sentiments of all who follow my blog (this pertaining to photographs as being of paramount importance to the validity of a blog), I'm going to have to update my arsenal of technological devices very soon, in order to be able to do the blog posts justice, i.e. visually enhance the posts by means of photographs. Please bear with me. I'm hoping to get this done within the next day or two. There are far too many photographs from, e.g. the Transkei, etc. that should appear in future posts!

Later I rode into town to replenish my food supplies and met up again with Thys van As, an attorney from Swellendam I'd briefly met during the morning. Thys very kindly invited me to supper at his place; an invitation I gratefully accepted.


I returned to the camp site at about eight o' clock and, seeing as there was a chill in the air, immediately got ready for bed. 

Tomorrow I will make my way to Stilbaai. Funnily enough, it seems that the town is known and referred to only by its Afrikaans name.

No comments: